The American Academy of Grief Counseling
Division of Pastoral Thanatology Certification
AIHCP BLOG: Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice speciality, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
Criteria for Recertification
Recertification by Continuing Education Hours
Certified members may elect this option for recertification. An application for recertification by continuing education hours must be completed. Information required on the application must be completed in full. The fee for recertification by continuing education hours is $ 200.00. Recertification is for a 4 year period.
Criteria for Recertification by Continuing Education Hours
- Candidates must have acquired evidence of 50 contact hours (1 contact hour = 50 minutes of study/lecture/learning activity. Contact hours must have been acquired within the four year period of active certification as a Certified Pastoral Thanatologist, by the American Academy of Grief Counseling.
- Continuing Education contact hours must be acquired accordingly: 50% of hours must be directly related to any of the following topics: death and dying, grief, spiritual counseling or care, or bereavement education and 50% of hours may be related to the candidates particular professional licensure/practice.
- Candidates must have practiced Pastoral Thanatology for at least 300 hours of practice within the four year period of active certification. Candidates for recertification must submit a copy of their job description, or a letter signed by a supervisor, or other evidence of practice related to pastoral thanatology.
For recertification candidates who do not meet the hours of practice requirement, you may still recertify in your specialty if you submit evidence of double the hours of continuing education contact hours required in the four year period since your last certification or recertification date. So, you would need to submit evidence of at least 100 contact hours of continuing education with 50% of those contact hours being related to your practice specialty.
- Applicants must submit copies of continuing education hour certificates or verifications. Copies are acceptable. If originals are sent, they are not returned.
- The American Academy of Grief Counseling has approved the following types of programs/offerings for recertification by continuing education hours:
- Continuing Education Courses
- College Courses, on campus, online, distance education
- Independent Study Courses
- Publication in a peer reviewed journal
- Acting as a clinical proctor for new pastoral thanatologists
- Presenter/Lecturer of a workshop, seminar or continuing education course
- Instructor for a college level course
- Submission of an approved thesis/dissertation related to Thanatology
- Serving on a hospital or organizational committee related to pastoral care, thanatology grief counseling, bereavement education.
- One college semester hour credit = 15 contact hours of continuing education
- One published article in a peer reviewed journal is equal to 25 contact hours of continuing education
- Continuing Education credits for presenters/lectures/college faculty will be awarded for the actual number of hours of their presentation or college semester hour course. Credit is given one time, no matter how many times the applicant has conducted the lecture/presentation/course.
- Continuing Education hours do not include: first aid, CPR, Advanced Life Support, hospital orientation, job orientation, product training's or non education meetings.
- Thesis/dissertations must be from an established college/university. The topic must be directly related to death & dying, and/or grief/bereavement and/or pastoral care. The thesis/dissertation must have been approved by the academic institution's faculty/committee and must have been written sometime within the four year period that the candidate was certified by the American Academy of Grief Counseling.
- Candidates who are applying for hours for committee work related to Pastoral Thanatology can be awarded 5 contact hours for each year of committee participation. Participation must have been during the four year period that the candidate was certified by the American Academy of Grief Counseling.
- Candidates may submit an application for recertification up to 60 days prior to their date of certification expiration.
- Candidates are given a six month"grace" period to apply for recertification. If the candidate does not apply during the six month "grace" period ( grace period begins on the day of expiration of certification) then the candidate will need to reapply according to first-time certification requirements.
The American Academy of Grief Counseling provides a "Fellowship Program" for its certified members in Pastoral Thanatology. Access Information.
- FAQS: Frequently Asked Questions
- Online CEU Courses for Recertification
- Call for Course Authors/Instructors
- Online Resources
Questions/Inquires can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated: February 2010