The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc.
Spiritual Counseling Recertification
"Dedicated to Continued Learning, Growth, and Achievement in Health Care Practice"
CRITERIA FOR RECERTIFICATIONAIHCP BLOG: Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice speciality, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
Recertification by Continuing Education Hours
Certified members may elect this option for recertification. An application for recertification by continuing education hours must be completed. Information required on the application must be completed in full. The fee for recertification by continuing education hours is $ 175.00. Recertification is for a three year period.
Criteria for Recertification by Continuing Education Hours
- Candidates must have acquired evidence of 50 contact hours ( 1 contact hour = 50 minutes of study/lecture/learning activity. Contact hours must have been acquired within the three year period of active certification by the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc.
- Continuing Education contact hours must be acquired accordingly: hours must be related to spiritual counseling and/or spiritual practice.
- Candidates must have practiced Spiritual Counseling for at least 500 hours of practice within the three year period of active certification.
- Applicants must submit copies of continuing education hour certificates or verifications. Copies are acceptable. If originals are sent, they are not returned.
- The AIHCP has approved the following types of programs/offerings for recertification by continuing education hours:
- Continuing Education Courses
- College Courses, on campus, online, distance education
- Independent Study Courses
- Publication in a peer reviewed journal
- Presenter/Lecturer of a workshop, seminar or continuing education course
- Instructor for a college level course
- Submission of an approved thesis/dissertation related to Spiritual Counseling or a related subject
- Serving on a hospital or organizational committee related to Spiritual Counseling or a related subject
- One college semester hour credit = 15 contact hours of continuing education
- One published article in a peer reviewed journal is equal to 25 contact hours of continuing education
- Continuing Education credits for presenters/lectures/college faculty will be awarded for the actual number of hours of their presentation or college semester hour course. Credit is given one time, no matter how many times the applicant has conducted the lecture/presentation/course.
- Continuing Education hours do not include: first aid, CPR, Advanced Life Support, hospital orientation, job orientation, product training's or non-education meetings.
- Thesis/dissertations must be from an established college/university. The topic must be directly related to Spiritual Counseling and/or Spiritual Practice or a very closely related subject. The thesis/dissertation must have been approved by the academic institution's faculty/committee and must have been written sometime within the three year period that the candidate was certified by the AIHCP.
- Candidates who are applying for hours for committee work related to Spiritual Counseling, spiritual practice and/or spiritual care or a related subject can be awarded 5 contact hours for each year of committee participation. Participation must have been during the three year period that the candidate was certified by the AIHCP.
- Candidates may submit an application for recertification up to 60 days prior to their date of certification expiration.
- Candidates are given a 6 month "grace" period to apply for recertification. If the candidate does not apply during the 6 month "grace" period (grace period begins on the day of expiration of certification) then the candidate will need to reapply according to first-time certification requirements.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, provides a "Fellowship Program" for its certified members in Spiritual Counseling. Access Information.
Questions/Inquires can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Recertification criteria as established and approved by the Advisory Board of the American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc, division of Spiritual Counseling Certification (2005).
Updated: February 2010