Spiritual Counseling Certification
"Dedicated to Continued Learning, Growth, and Achievement in Health Care Practice"
- Request Information
- Certification Program: Courses and Prices - Spiritual Focus
- Certification Program: Courses and Prices - Christian Focus
- FAQS: Frequently Asked Questions
- Code of Ethics for Certified Members
- Recertification Information
- Continuing Education
- Role of a Spiritual Counselor
- Online Resource Board
- Online Application
- Call for Course Authors/Instructors
AIHCP BLOG: Please visit our interactive web blog. Here you will find frequently added information on our programs, articles and news by practice speciality, and much more. Register and become a part of our professional health care community.
Have questions? Join us on "live chat" online now! One of our advisors will be happy to assist you and respond to your questions: Access Now
SPIRITUAL COUNSELING BLOG: Please visit our Spiritual Counseling interactive web blog. Our blog contains articles, news, events and information related the Spiritual Counseling field.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, Inc. offers a comprehensive, quality, Certification program for qualified applicants, in Spiritual Counseling.
The objectives of the Spiritual Counseling Certification Program are:
Provide a high quality program of Certification for those who are qualified and called to the practice of Spiritual Counseling and Care.
Develop and support high standards of education and practice requirements for the attainment of certification.
Provide a mechanism for the ongoing involvement of a peer advisory board of qualified professionals to oversee program development and requirements for certification.
Provide society with a mechanism to ascertain the appropriate education, skills, knowledge and experience required by professionals who offer such services.
Establish quality standards and requirements for the recertification of its credentialed members, attesting to ongoing education and skill attainment in the practice specialty of Spiritual Counseling.
Provide a comprehensive program of approvals for continuing education, seminars, offerings, independent study, and other related educational activities, to ensure high quality standards are met and that such programs are of value to those practicing Spiritual Counseling.
Certified Spiritual Counselor- requires attainment and/or verification of one of the following certification criteria:
- Completion of an official, established education program to prepare individuals for the practice of Spiritual Counseling. Educational programs must have provided a minimum of 320 hours of lecture/study. Candidates for certification must present valid evidence of successful completion of such program. The AIHCP review board will review and approve programs on an individual basis. Once a program is approved, it will be published as "approved" by the AIHCP. Programs submitted for approval consideration must have their curriculums specifically based in Spiritual Counseling theory/practice. To view approved programs and courses, click here. Candidates whose can demonstrate evidence of successful completion of such programs within a five (5) year period prior to the date of application for certification, are eligible to receive certification as a Spiritual Counselor. Such programs may include university and college based courses, continuing education seminars, retreats, self-study and distance learning programs, etc.
AIHCP offers a full online program of continuing education courses, that when successfully completed, meet the education requirements for application for Certification as a Certified Spiritual Counselor. Access information here. This curriculum is more broad-based without a specific religion focus.
- Certification Option: the AIHCP also offers a full CE education curriculum in Spiritual Counseling with a "Christian Focus." Candidates for Certification may chose this option instead of the CE curriculum that does not have a christian or specific religion focus. Access information here.
Pre-requisite to enrolling in the Spiritual Counseling continuing education programs: registrants must meet at least one of the following; 1.) a registered nurse currently licensed to practice nursing, 2). a licensed social worker, 3). a health care licensed professional, 4). a health care provider with a minimum of an associate degree, 5). a licensed counselor or psychologist, 6). holds a bachelor's degree or higher in psychology, human services, or other health related field, 7). works in health care chaplain ministry under the direction of a pastoral chaplain/clergy, 8). is in current practice as a minister (licensed/ordained) or is a crisis counselor 9). is a certified addictions counselor, or 10). is currently certified in grief counseling, stress management consulting, or pastoral thanatology.
Certification - Identification & Credentials
Those applicants who become certified by the AIHCP in Spiritual Counseling may use the initials/credential SC-C, after their names:
"Spiritual Counselor, Certified"
To preview the Spiritual Counseling CE Education Program: access here.
THE CERTIFICATION PROCESS: We have a dedicated page that provides a quick over-view of our certification process. It will provide you with good information about the process/phases of both the education courses and application for certification. To access: click here
CERTIFICATION OPTION: CHRISTIAN FOCUS
Those applicants who become certified by the AIHCP in Spiritual Counseling and complete the CE education curriculum for Spiritual Counseling with a Christian Focus, may use the initials/credential SCC-C after their names.
"Spiritual Christian Counselor, Certified"
To preview the Spiritual Christian Counseling CE Education Program: access here.
POLICIES OF THE AIHCP, INC: access here
All certifications shall be for a period of 3 years from the date that the initial certification.
Certified members may receive recertification at the expiration of their three year term by: click here
- Obtaining 50 or more hours of continuing education within the three year period of certification .
Those applicants who have successfully achieved certification, or recertification receive a large size official Certificate attesting to certification, as well as an official letter of notification. The certificate is suitable for framing and details the official professional certification title, initials that may be used, and time frames for certification. Those recertifying receive a new, updated certificate. Wallet size identification cards of certification are also presented.
- The certification fee for Spiritual Counseling is $ 175.00 for the three year term of certification. Payment in full is due at the time of application. If an applicant does not meet certification criteria, the application fee is refunded. A completed application must be mailed in to the with full payment to be considered for certification. Application is available on this website.
- Application for Recertification is $ 175.00 for the next three year period. This is a one time payment and is required in full at the time of application for recertification. A completed application must accompany the payment.
- Major credit cards are accepted. Check and money orders are to be payable to : The American Institute of Healthcare Professionals.
Education Programs for Recertitification
Applicants may obtain education hours by completion of any type of formal program in specifically related to Spiritual Counseling. Such programs include:
- University/College Programs and Courses
- Continuing Education Courses
- Distance Learning Programs
- Self-Study Programs
- Courses offered by Professional Associations
The AIHCP reserves the right to approve all such courses for consideration toward certification. fellowship. For any courses to be considered, applicants must submit copies of all certificates of completion or transcripts verifying completion. Applicants who are using their degrees to meet partial fulfillment of the education requirements for certification must have official transcripts submitted from their University or College, directly to the AIHCP.
The American Institute of Health Care Professionals, provides a "Fellowship Program" for its certified members in Spiritual Counseling. Access Information.
- Code of Ethics for Certified Members
- Recertification Information
- Click here to view education programs that are approved by the AIHCP for Spiritual Counseling
- Click here to request more information
Click here for the online application. Please print the application and mail it.
Updated: February 2010